Tuesday, November 18, 2008

November 17th - 21st...the week before Thanksgiving Break!

WOW! Thanksgiving Break is almost here! I can't believe it. This year is just flying by and before we know it, it will be over! I guess we are having way too much fun in first grade.

This week in whole group we are covering the /k/ as in kangaroo sound. The story in Unit 15 is about a kind kangaroo. We will be talking about this kind mammal and kites for the week. We are also talking about Harvest, Thanksgiving, and the Pilgrims this week.

In Math, we are working on Chapter 11. In this chapter, we will be talking about greater than, less than, equal to and ordinal numbers (1st, 2nd, 3rd...etc.). Practice these concepts at home. There will be homework on Wednesday night, sorry about this, but that was the only night I could get the homework for math to workout.

We are still working on Nouns in Grammar. I want to make sure that everyone has this concept down before I move forward into the next Grammar Rule. We will also only do 3 phonograms this week and then 3 after Thanksgiving Break. We will be finished with phonograms at that point, when we will pick up Daily Language Review. So, we will clean out the phonogram journal and use it for a Daily Language Review binder. I will change out the cover sheets when we clean out the journals at school.

This will be quite a busy week. We are trying to accomplish so much this week.

We will work on the December Quilt for the hallway. That will go up in the hallway on Friday afternoon. Thanks to everyone that helped.

American Education Week is going on. Check the pictures on the side of the blog to see some of the things that have been going on.

Monday: Author study with a display in the hallway. We did Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes.

Tuesday: Dress up like the career you want when you grow up. We had several teachers...which always makes my heart leap!...and some rock stars, as well as some cowboys and girls.

Wednesday: In class we will write and illustrate, "What I Like Best About My School." We will display these in the class.

Thursday: My dad will be coming to read one of my favorite books from my childhood. He had to read this book to me every night when I was a little girl.

Friday: Children can bring in their all time favorite book to share.

FIELD TRIP ~ November 21st to see Cinderella.

We will wear our GREEN First Grade Friends t-shirts. JEANS ARE ALLOWED!!!! There was a mistake on last week's blog, we will be able to wear jeans on Friday, Nov. 21 for our Cinderella field trip.

Book IT! November ends on Friday, November 21st. There are several students that are well on their way to earning a FREE PIZZA ticket. Just to help out, Thursday and Friday are 2 test days with a note for each book.

I hope that you all have a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving Break! I will be enjoying my break with my family and friends. Please remember to read every night, as we only have 3 weeks left in the 9 weeks.

As always, if you have questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Ms. Messick

No comments: