Tuesday, September 30, 2008

September 29th - October 3rd

Well, we are 8 weeks into school! Wow! How time has flown! The students have learned so much and are progressing at a great rate. I am very pleased with each of them and all of their hard work.

This week in whole group we are discussing T as in Turkey. I know it is a little early to talk about turkeys, but all those great holidays are just around the corner! Better get prepared. We are just talking about the bird this week. We will talk about the holidays as we get closer to them. The students will also talk about tigers, turtles, and several other things that start with the letter T. Make sure to point out when things start with the letter of the week. For example, when you are outside near a tree, see if your student can give you the beginning letter of tree. I am not sending home ReadWell homework this week. Since I was out sick on Monday, and had to play catchup on Tuesday, I am going to give the kids a break. Relax a little this week. But use library books and old ReadWell homework for your 20 minutes of reading for this week. We will also have a Word Wall quiz this week. This quiz will be on all the words from this nine weeks.

Please make sure that when your child is ready to test on a book you place a sticky note on the front telling me and your child that they are ready to test on that book. It appears that everyone has been working hard to take 3 tests a week. Please don't stop. We appear to be doing really well on our tests. Expect to see a computer print out on Friday of all the tests that your child has taken so far. It will list their scores. If you have questions after receiving the report, let me know and I will be glad to go over the report with you.

We are doing a math drill this week. Please continue to practice your math facts at home as well as the math drill. Students are only given 1 minute to answer all 20 problems. Your child should be able to answer 20 facts in 1 minute. Please practice, it is very important for your student to know their math facts. In class, we are covering subtraction. Expect some homework this week on subtraction. I will be sending some home on Wednesday and Thursday.

I can tell that you have been working with your children on the phonogram and sentence corrections at home. It shows in class as we do them daily, and it also shows on the Friday quizzes. Keep up the good work. Let me know if you have questions.

This week we had to say goodbye to Emily. Her family is moving to Virginia and her last day was Tuesday, September 30th. It was sad to see her leave, but we will be keeping up with her and sending her notes occasionally.

If you have not sent your Innsbrook Fundraising materials in, they were due Monday, Sept. 29th. Please send them as soon as possible!

**We have made 100% for PTA Membership! Anything above this will go to Mrs. D's Class.**
Since the students were so generous with their memberships and wanted to help Mrs. D, I would like to reward them with a popcorn or cookie party. If anyone would like to help, let me know. We will need juice and popcorn or cookies. I will let the students vote for either popcorn or cookies and we will go from there.

Monday, October 6th is a holiday. Please make sure to enjoy your day...go to the fair and have some fun!!!

Fall pictures will be October 9th. I am not sure if we will be able to wear street clothes that day or if we will have to wear uniforms. As soon as I know, I will let you know. It may be the day prior, so if your student comes home saying they can wear regular clothes, don't be surprised.

Tuesday, October 14th we will be going to ASF to see Charlotte's Web. Your child needs to wear their First Grade T-shirt and jeans. Parents, please do not show up at the field trip expecting to get into the theatre with us. If you are not one of the two chaperones that are signed up to go, I will have to ask you to leave in front of everyone. I really don't want to have to do that, it would be embarrassing for me and you.

I am loving this fall weather! I hope that you are getting out and enjoying it too!

Ms. Messick

No comments: