Monday, October 6, 2008

October 7th - 10th, 2008

I hope that you all enjoyed your Fall Break. I know it was short, but we really do not have long until we will get an entire week off. So, keep up the hard work and we will take a real break soon.

This week in whole group we will be discussing W as in Wind. We will have lots of activities that revolve around the letter W and weather. You should see some really interesting Writing activities coming home this week. I may not send them until the end of the week. I think that you will get a better idea of what is going on in the classroom if you can see the writing activities that the students are completing. Remember to point out things that begin with the letter of the week, since it helps the students remember what letter and sound it is that we are talking about this week. We WILL have Readwell homework this week. I will send several sheets for each student. I would like for them to practice as many as possible. We will also have a homework check this week in reading.

We will begin the Book It program this week. I will place a chart in the student's Bee Books to help keep up with tests that they score 100% on. There will be a notation from me if the students color in a box. If I have not noted the box, then it should not be colored. Once a student has colored all 12 boxes, they will be awarded a pizza ticket. Please make sure to read with your student and send a sticky note that they are ready to test on their book. Remember, they must read the book with a parent/guardian 3 times prior to testing on the book.

This week in Math we will continue working on subtraction. Please complete any homework sent home and return it to school the following day. I know that I did not take up homework from last week yet. I will take it up this week and get that folder cleared for you. We will continue our Math Drills for addition. Please practice at home. The grades on the drills are starting to look much better. I am seeing more and more of the students finishing the drills, which lets me know that they are learning their facts.

We will cover 2 grammar rules this week. The rules we will cover this week are rule 5 and rule 6. We will continue to work on previous rules, but we will concentrate on these two this week. Let me know if the study sheet helped you, as parents, last week. The grades looked a little better than they have in the past. If it did help, I will try to continue to send them on Thursday nights.

We have almost finished reading Charlotte's Web in class. If you have the video(not the DVD) at home, I have gotten permission to show it in my room. I would like to borrow it if I could. I will return it as soon as we have finished watching the movie. I am hoping that we will be able to finish both the book and the movie this week.

This week we have Fall pictures. I have not heard anything about what the students will be allowed to wear. As soon as I know, I will pass it along. Like I said before, do not be surprised if your student comes home on Wednesday saying they can wear regular clothes on Thursday. If we are able to wear regular clothes, please send your child in something that they can wear all day. Please DO NOT send students in clothes that they will need to change before/after pictures. Pictures will be on Thursday, October 9th. I do not know what time our pictures will be taken. After pictures are taken, they will send a proof home at a later date and you can decide then if you want to buy pictures or not. EVERYONE will have their picture taken on Thursday. There will be a makeup day if your student is absent.

I will be sending home some Scholastic book orders on Tuesday, October 7th. Anyone that wishes to order books needs to have the order back to me by Friday, October 10th. I will place the order by mail this month. Next month, I will have ordering online set up for parents that would rather order that way. Please order books, this gives me a way to order free books for our classroom. I will also place a classroom wish list on the order, if you would like to order any of these books for the classroom, please feel free to do so.

This past weekend, Hobie went home with a broken arm. Hobie does break...or tear. He did have some minor surgery on Friday, and had a cast on his arm when he left school. We think that he is going to heal nicely, but we have to be careful with him. Hobie will be visiting the doctor this week to see how he is healing. The students will give you an update on what the doctor says about Hobie's arm.

Have a wonderful Fall week! About 25 days until Halloween!

Ms. Messick

No comments: