Monday, October 13, 2008

October 13 - 17, 2008

Wow, what a weekend. I spent it relaxing and enjoying the fall weather. I hope that you enjoyed your weekend too. We have a whole lot of things going on this week. So, hold on tight and enjoy the ride!

First, I want to make sure I tell you what your child should wear on the field trip. Every student needs to have on their First Grade T-shirt and blue jeans. I did tell the students that they might want to bring a light zipper jacket or sweater (it must be red, white, or blue). Sometimes the theatre is cold and that will keep us a little warmer. We will be leaving the school for the field trip at 8:30 am. Make sure you get to school on time. There will be no refunds for those that miss the bus.

Please make sure that your student arrives to school on time. We start our day as soon as the students enter the room. It really messes the students up when their friends are going to centers and reading group and they have missed those things. You would be surprised how much being late to school can stress out a first grader. It really does, some of your children cry when they are late. So, please do all that you can to make sure they arrive on time.

I messed up...BIG TIME! Oops! We were supposed to have spelling words last week and be off this week, so we are going to have spelling words this week instead. This week's spelling words are: and, mat, need, sad, Sam, the, was, we, in, sit. Please practice these words every night. We will have a quiz on Friday. I will call the words out and the students will have to spell them correctly. I suggest writing them at least 3 -5 times every night and quiz them at home on Thursday nights. From this point forward, I will not send the words home. The purpose of the spelling quiz is for the students to use the sounds they have learned during the week, not to be able to just spell a set of memorized words from working on them through out the week.

This week we are talking about I as in Insect. We will talk about ladybugs, spiders, and butterflies this week. If you would like to come and read a story that you have that is about one of these insects, email me and let me know. It will have to be on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday. I would like for parents to come and read more often. I am going to start posting the upcoming letters of the week and you can email me if you decide that you want to read one week. We usually do reading right after lunch (around 11:30 or so).

October 20 - 24: H as in Hippo
October 27 - 31: C as in Cat

Everyone received Reading Homework. Red Group will get their second sheet later in the week. All other groups should be bringing home 2 sheets of reading homework. We have been changing units in the middle of the week and this will help with that transition. Please start with the lowest unit number and work to the highest. Please do homework 4 as a practice prior to reading any of the stories. If you have questions, please email me.

Student also received a Math Drill sheet for this week. I know it seems like a lot, but we are maturing as first graders. Homework is part of the maturing process. It makes us smarter and better equipped students. Please practice the Math Drill. Some of the students are still struggling and using their fingers. Use flashcards to help them memorize their facts.

Report Cards go home on Thursday, October 16th. I will be available for conferences on Tuesday and Thursday of the following week. Please let me know if you would like to discuss any issues with your child and their academic or behavior status.

Fall Festival is also on Thursday, October 16th. I hope to see you all there, I will be working in the concession stand from 6 - 7 pm. Come out and join us for lots of fun!

Keep enjoying the wonderful weather!

Happy Fall!
Ms. Messick

No comments: