Monday, October 27, 2008

October 27th - 31st, 2008

The weather has finally caught up with the season. I hope that you have jackets ready! We should be putting them to good use this week! I love the cooler weather...of course, I LOVE fall (and spring)! Please make sure that your child has a jacket, as we are going to PE for the next two weeks and the students must go outside to get to the PE trailer or the PE areas.

In whole group reading this week, we are studying C as in Cat. We will have two guest readers this week. On Tuesday, Mr. Pinkham will be coming to read to the students and on Thursday, Mrs. Sarris will be coming to read. The students love to have other people read to them. This is a good change of pace for the students. If you would like to read, let me know, I can send you a book or you could provide one of your own. Next week's whole group reading will involve R as in Rabbit followed by Sh as in Sheep.

We are beginning some graphing in Math. I did not send home the Math Drill sheet for this week on Monday. That will come home on Tuesday. I did, however, send home some graphing homework tonight. I will probably send one more Math homework sheet this week. We will do a Math Drill on Friday, like normal. Please practice...this week will be on facts for 3.

FYI...We will take our Phonogram/Grammar Quiz on Thursday, October 30th, this week. This way all the excitement about Friday will not harm our grades on the quiz. So, we will have a phonogram for Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday...we will quiz Thursday and take Friday off from phonograms. Students will not bring home phonogram journals Thursday or Friday nights this week.

Announcements:

Please make sure to send a note if your child is absent. You only have 3 days to get an excuse to the school, then the absence will become unexcused. If you are going on a trip (short or long) send a note for possible preapproval from Mrs. Green. I will pass it along and send you a copy back.

We will be sending home signed papers on Thursday, October 30th. Please review these papers, sign the envelope, and return the papers as soon as possible. (Progress reports will be sent home on Thursday, November 6th).

****I will be providing snack on Friday, October 31st. Please send your student a drink, but I will provide the students with a snack to eat!!*****

We are coming to the end of October's Book It log. November's Book It log will begin on Monday, Nov. 3rd. There will be a November Book It log in the B.E.E. book on Monday. None of the October quizzes will count toward the November total. 12 AR scores of 100 will win a free personal pan pizza from Pizza Hut. Make sure to read and test to earn a free pizza.

October Pizza Winners: Spencer Lindemood, (as of 10-29-08) Minjae Jung, Alexandra Pinkham, and Elizabeth Sheffield.

Upcoming Events:

October 31st - November 7th: Book Fair (I will send more info about this!)

November 2nd: FALL Back an hour (Make sure to set that clock back!!)

November 6th: Progress Reports

November 11th: NO SCHOOL...Veteran's Day Holiday

Have a wonderful week. We are learning so much and finding ways to have fun everyday! Thank you for blessing me with your children, EVERYDAY! They make me smile, more than you will ever know! I appreciate all that you do to help...it shows here at school. I can't wait to see how much smarter we become! The sky is not even close to the limit!

Thanks!
Ms. Messick

P.S. If you read this blog, send me a comment. I want to make sure they are working. Thanks!

No comments: