Wednesday, March 25, 2009

March 24th - 27th, 2009

I hope that you have all recovered from Spring Break. I also hope that everyone enjoyed some time off and found yourselves doing many enjoyable things during the week.

This week we get back into the swing of things here at school. In whole group we will be talking about Pigs, Penguins, and many other P things...as we are learning the /p/ as in Pig sound. Since it is a short week, I just hope that we can get all the things in that we want to do. If not, we may just have to carry a couple over into next week.

This week in Math we are still working on Money. We are finishing up pennies, nickels, and dimes...we should start the next chapter, which introduces quarters and dollars. So, keep practicing counting money at home. The students seem to be doing okay with this concept, but practice is always helpful.

We are going to work on Rule 17: Use I when you are the person doing something; Use me when something happens to you. We will cover these during Daily Language Review (DLR). We will also do our DLR for the week. Tuesday the student should bring home Monday and Tuesday's DLR then one on Wednesday and Thursday. We will have a quiz on Friday.

Well, I will break the news now...BookIt will end at the end of March, so I have a new challenge for AR to finish the school year out. I am upping the anty for April and May with AR...we will be gearing up for 2nd grade. Starting April 1st (and this is no joke), EVERYONE must take 2 tests a day. We should ALL be reading at least 1 easy chapter book...something like Henry and Mudge by Cynthia Rylant. Start off easy with this...don't just jump into chapter books. Finally, there will be no excuses for not taking two tests...short of being absent...I expect everyone to take two tests. So, please make sure your child has 2 notes and is prepared everyday...2nd grade will be hard on this and I want the students to be ready to jump in and move on!

Nothing major going on this week...if you need something, let me know!

Have a great week!
Ms. Messick

No comments: